Monday, July 21, 2014

7/14/14 - Jordon

¡Hola todos! ¿Cómo están?
This week was very much more eventful than last. In the work, we've turned our focus primarily to less active members that the Ward Council members have given us to go by. One reason being that we have been given so many names that we don't really have time for anything else. However, we're still managing to find time to visit non-members, as well. We recently had a little miracle with regards to that. (or, I consider it to be one, anyway.)

In our area book, we had a teaching record for a guy named Doc. However, this teaching record had neither an address, nor a phone number, nor a fellowship written on it. In essence, we had no way to contact it. (If there's one thing that irks me, it's when forms in the area book aren't filled out with all the information known. It makes things harder for future missionaries.) However, for some reason I didn't want to through it away. Now five weeks after first viewing the record, we were looking though the contacts in our phone, and found one labeled "Doc DH Gator". (DH = Desert Hills Ward) We thought it might be him, so we gave it a call. He picked up, we talked for a brief moment, and set up a time to meet him at his house! He gave us his address! After the phone call the first thing I did was put the info on the teaching record. It's not much, but it's pretty spectacular to me.
It's interesting, to note how much the Spirit influences our lives. Often times, we find ourselves in a setting where we didn't really have a lesson planned out ahead of time, but in many of these instances, when we shared the message, they told us how much it applied to something in their lives right now. I really love those moments. I'm grateful for the influence of the Holy Ghost in my life, for there would be no way for us to do this work without his help.

-------------------------------------------------
Transfers are coming up next week. So, if you're planning on sending me anything (I don't know what you would be sending me), make sure to send it to the mission office. I suspect I'm being transfered, but don't hold me to that. Sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways.
-------------------------------------------------
Guess what....It's monsoon season! The humidity is up, the wind is blowing, and we're getting a lot more rain than in months previous. There's just one problem.......It's mostly only raining at night! So, even though it's raining, it's not when I can enjoy it. However, one thing I do get to experience comes with the increasing wind. Do you know what happens when you mix strong wind with a lot of loose dust? Dust Storms! We've had a few of them, normally just before a rainstorm, but the rain only comes once we get home. I took some pictures. (see below )



-------------------------------------------------
So, how is everyone doing on the Book of Mormon Challenge? So far, the only one I know about is Dad (of all people, seeing as "Read" is a four letter word). And he's managing to keep up. Who else took the challenge?
I'll share something interesting: We just finished Jacob 2. However, I had a moment of confusion throughout 1st and 2nd Nephi. I think I counted three or four times when Nephi states that the Lord commanded him to make another set of plates, and that the more part of the history are contained on his other plates. I must admit: there was a moment when I seriously thought that he had made yet another set of plates (in addition to the second set) because the Lord commanded him to do so. Hehe. I asked Elder Cairns, "Wait, does Nephi then have three sets of plates? 'Cause here he says, again, that the Lord commanded him to make another set." We had a decent laugh about it.
-------------------------------------------------
I think that's about it. Tell everyone I say hi. I look forward to writing again next week. Until then,
Con amor,
-Elder Jordon Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment