Monday, April 22, 2013

4/15/13 - Jordon

Hola todos. ¿Cómo están? Espero que bien.
 
Well, I did some math this morning, and I discovered somthing: I've (we've) been on the mission for over 200 days now.That's a lot. I know we hit the 25% mark a few weeks ago, but 6 months (and 3 weeks) vs 200 days sound very different. (or it does to me anyway.)
 
So, this week has been a bit interesting.
We have a few investigators starting to make progress. There were 3 investigators of ours who attended church yesterday; two of which I hadn't seen there prior. Their names are Sandra and Erica. (Mother and Daughter) They really liked church from what I understand. Although, Elder Harder and I realized something when it came time for the Sacrament: We hadn't actually explained everything that happens at church. (Oops! ) When the Sacrament was passed around, they were unsure of what was going on or what they should do. We briefly explained that the bread and water represent the body and blood of Christ, and it's to help us remember him. They could take it if they wanted, but didn't have to. The chose not to. We have a lesson with them today. We're planning to teach them a bit more about church. hehe. But, things are going well with them, so there's a possibility of a baptism in the near future.
 
I meet with Michelle Hooper again this week. For the most part, this meeting was basically to discuss if I really needed to meet with her anymore. We determined that I we had achieved our purpose, and we didn't need to continue meeting. My mind set is quite different from when we first started. I still have a few complaints about mission life, but I've determined that there is no use in crying over spilt milk. So, I just let them go and keep working my best.
 
Oh, and I had a run in with the police. (hehe, I can see the surprise on your face right now.) Don't worry, nothing bad happened. Elder Harder and I were proselyting in a trailor park. We were just doing the "missionary thing" and talking to everyone we could to find those interested in learning more. Well, apparently one lady complained to the maintenance guy (who has never liked us, anyway). He found us and told us that we were soliciting and he was going to call the police. Elder Harder told him that he could go ahead because we weren't soliciting. We went on talking to people, the guy called the police, we talked, and the final end result is that we weren't doing anything wrong. We went on our way, and that was the end of it. See? Nothing bad. However, that maintenance guy really doesn't like us, so we're gonna try to avoid him where we can.
(Solicit: Ask for or try to obtain (something) from someone; typically money.)
 
Other than that, nothing new this week. Business as usual.
 
A few weeks ago I realized something: Remember the Scout Oath and Scout Law? I do.
Scout Oath:
  On my Honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.
Scout Law:
  A scout is: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, curtious, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. (and hungry.)
 
This sounds like the qualities of a missionary to me. (Yes, even the hungry part. Especially in spanish work.) Just a thought.
 
I hope you're all doing well. Tell everyone I say hi.
Con amor,
-Elder Jordon Hill
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment